Kale, Onion and Black Bean Arepas.
SERVING SIZE: 1 arepa with ⅓ cup filling (71 grams)
PREP TIME: 10 minutes
COOKING TIME: 25 minutes
- 2 cups pre-cooked white cornmeal flour
- 3 tablespoons (37 milliliters) vegetable oil, divided
- ¼ cup diced onions
- 1 cup drained canned black beans
- 3 cups chopped kale, stems removed
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅓ cup crumbled feta or gorgonzola cheese
- Pour flour into a medium bowl. Make a well in the center and add 2½ cups warm water.
- Using a wooden spoon, gradually stir until no dry lumps remain. Let rest 5 minutes.
- Knead dough a few times in bowl, then divide into 8 pieces.
- On a clean surface, roll each piece into a ball, then gently flatten to about ½-inch thick.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat.
- Add 4 pieces of dough, cover and cook until golden brown, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Uncover, flip and cook uncovered 6 to 8 minutes, until other side is golden brown.
- Transfer arepas to a wire rack.
- Repeat with 1 tablespoon oil and remaining dough.
- Cut cooked arepas in half.
- To make the filling, heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add onions and cook about 3 minutes or until translucent.
- Add black beans and kale and cook for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently, until kale is tender.
- Season with garlic powder and black pepper and toss to ensure seasonings are evenly distributed.
- Stuff each arepa with ⅓ cup filling and top with 1 teaspoon cheese.
NUTRITION PER SERVING: 204 calories, 6g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 2mg cholesterol, 539mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate, 4g fiber, 1g sugar, 5g protein, 196mg potassium, 279mg phosphorus
Recipe developed by Andrea Mathis