Amy Burkhart MD, RD
Integrative Medicine Physician and Registered Dietitian.
Dr. Burkhart is one of only two physicians in the U.S. who is also a registered dietitian and trained in integrative medicine. Thus, she approaches problems from a unique perspective using traditional medicine, nutrition, and integrative medicine. When asked what she does for a living, she often replies, ” In my office, I help people struggling for answers as well as those looking for a different type of health care. Our world is fast-paced; your doctor’s visit shouldn’t be.
Outside of the office, I write about topics that address health in ways others may not have.”
University of Arizona Associate Fellowship in Integrative Medicine 2002-2004
Highland Hospital/UCSF-Residency Training in Emergency Medicine 1995-99
The University of California, Irvine College of Medicine MD 1990-1995
University Of Chicago Celiac Disease Preceptorship 2012
Registered Dietitian-RD 1990-present
University of California, Berkeley-Coordinated Internship in Nutrition and Dietetics 1989
The University of California, Berkeley-BS in Clinical Nutrition and Dietetics Class of 1989
- Dr. Burkhart is a board-certified Physician and a Registered Dietitian.
- She received her MD degree at the University of California, Irvine College of Medicine.
- She completed an emergency medicine residency at the Highland Hospital/UCSF program.
- Dr. Burkhart also completed a two-year fellowship in integrative medicine with Dr. Andrew Weil at the University of Arizona.
- preceptorship program at the University of Chicago Celiac Disease Center for additional training in celiac disease/gluten disorders.
- Undergraduate studies were done at the University of California Berkeley in clinical nutrition and dietetics.
- She also completed her clinical nutrition/dietetics internship at U.C. Berkeley.
Dr. Burkhart lives with celiac disease and has eight family members with celiac disease. She understands, on a very personal level, the challenges of living with a chronic health condition.
Board Member and Medical Advisor: Celiac Community Foundation of Northern California. She is a specialist in celiac disease and gluten/wheat-related disorders. She has educated physicians, dietitians, and the general public about celiac disease and gluten sensitivity since 2008.
Camp Celiac: Volunteer Physician 2010-Present
Medical Advisory Board: Gluten Free and More Magazine 2015-2019
Member North American Society for the study of Celiac Disease 2016-present
- English and Spanish