Red Beans & Rice
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 25 mins
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: Southern
- 1 Cup Diced Red Bell Pepper
- 3/4 Cup Diced Onion
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Celery
- 1 Tsp Minced Garlic
- 1 Cup Long Grain White Rice (rinsed)
- 1 15oz Can of Large Red Kidney Beans (rinsed)
- 2 Cups Vegetable Broth (or water)
- 1/2 Cup No-Salt Added Plain Tomato Sauce (optional)
- 1 Tsp Dried Oregano
- 1 Tsp Dried Thyme
- 3/4 Tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1/2 Tsp Cumin
- 1/4 Tsp Black Pepper
- 1/4 Tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1/2 TB Hot Sauce (optional, if you can’t handle spice!)
- Fresh Parsley (to top)
- In a large soup pot, over medium-high heat, dry saute the pepper, celery, onion, and garlic for 5 minutes until softened.
- Now add the rice, beans, broth/water, tomato sauce, spices, and herbs to the vegetables.
- Bring the pot to a boil and then cover and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until all the liquid is absorbed.
- Once done, remove the pot from heat and let it sit, covered for about 5-10 minutes.
- Mix in the hot sauce (add more or less depending on your tolerance).
- Serve with fresh parsley, if desired.
THIS ARTICLE IS COPYRIGHTED BY AMY BURKHART, MD, RD.
Dr. Amy Burkhart is a doctor (M.D.), Registered Dietitian, R.D., and fellowship-trained in integrative medicine. She specializes in treating chronic digestive disorders from an integrative/functional medicine perspective.