Gluten-Free Shopping: Online Options
Includes options for Paleo, Keto, Low-FODMAP, Autoimmune (AIP)
The rate of online gluten-free grocery shopping has skyrocketed due to the Covid-19/Coronavirus Pandemic For people on restricted diets, alternatives for staple foods may be difficult to find. I want to take this opportunity to provide *resources beyond Amazon.com for people with dietary restrictions. I hope these online shopping resources aid your ability to find products. If you have other resources that may be helpful please email me. Please stay home to stop the spread!
General Online Grocery Stores
Most deliver through USPS or UPS to your door and provide a wide variety of gluten-free and allergen-free foods and products.
- Azure Standard – A cooperative grocery store that requires a “host” in your area to set up the drop-offs. Deliveries are once a month at a designated location. They offer perishable goods, dry goods, meat, produce, dairy, frozen foods, supplements, gardening and home supplies. They do not deliver to your door. There may already be a location set up near you.
- Boxed–Wholesale shopping, but no membership fee. It has been called the online “Costco”. Purchase groceries and beauty items in bulk. Group orders are accepted.
- Direct Eats – A large, online marketplace offering over 50,000 products. They sell non-perishable food items, home and beauty items and children’s products
- Fody Foods– Retailer of Low FODMAP products.
- FreshDirect- Delivery of groceries, produce, perishable items, Home page has a text box to determine if delivery is available in your area.
- Glutenfree Mall – An old favorite for gluten-free shopping. They offer non-perishable items and frozen items. Due to the popularity of the site, there is a back log on many products at the current time.
- Imperfect Foods – A weekly delivery service. You choose organic or conventional items and food is delivered to your door.
- Jet.com-Groceries, household items, clothing and beauty supplies. Free shipping for orders over $49
- Kalyx – Is a natural marketplace that offers many organic products. Many items must be purchased in multiples/bulk. They also have household items, gardening supplies and sporting equipment.
- My Organic Grocery– Has over 15,000 grocery and wellness products available. Food is non-perishable. They also sell supplements
- Natural Zing – Offers a large supply of raw foods, supplements and kitchen tools
- Peapod– Online ordering of groceries and alcohol delivered. Enter your zip code to see if the deliver in your area.
- Shop AIP– Ships products for those who follow the AIP ( autoimmune protocol), Low FODMAP, Whole 30 or Paleo diets.
- Thrive Market – Is a large, online budget grocery store. It has many organic items as well as frozen meat and fish. It a large number of products for those following special diets. A membership is required but that is quickly offset by the low price of the items.
Bakeries or Baking Mixes
Many gluten-free bakeries, that don’t typically ship, are now offering shipping, delivery, or curbside pick-up. A few are listed below. Contact your favorite for policies that may have changed during the pandemic. *Note-some also sell products through Amazon.com
- Breads from Anna-sells mixes free of many allergens
- Flour Craft – They are also sharing an updated health & safety notice.
- Flour Chylde – They are also sharing an update store/shipping cancellation policy.
- Mariposa Baking Co. – This California favorite is now shipping! They are also open for take-out and curbside pickup if you live in the San Francisco Bay Area.
- Montana Gluten Free– Baking mixes, bread mixes that are free of top 8 allergens. Their products do contain gluten-free oats.
- Simple Kneads-bakes artisan gluten-frees sourdough and ships to your door
- A comprehensive list of gluten-free online bakeries that ship is provided here by blogger Erica Dermer
Looking for treats or sweets for a holiday or special occasion? Check out the online-only store below.
- Cratejoy– Weekly delivery of boxes aimed at your needs. Keto, Paleo, Raw, Fermented foods, GF Pizza, Meats only, produce etc. See the link for all the options!
- Meat Delivery Services– See this comprehensive list of options for delivery of meat, chicken, and seafood.
- Natural Candy Store – Cater to those who may need dye-free, allergen-free, or organic sweets. They have seasonal products for holidays such as: Easter, Halloween, and Christmas, in addition to standard candies.
Finding reliable supplement resources online can be challenging. Some pharmacies will now deliver to your door but if that option is not available see the stores below.
TheOnlineDrugStore.com– Many supplements and personal care products. Free shipping if over $49 order.
OverstockDrugstore.com– Supplements, cosmetics, baby needs, medical supplies. Shipping $5 or free for orders over $50
Vitacost – Sells low-cost supplements, cleaning products, personal care items, make-up, and pet supplies.
Local Grocery Delivery Services
Many local grocery stores offer their own delivery service, or delivery through companies such as Instacart.
- Whole Foods-delivery is available for Amazon prime members. Many stores now adding pick-up options
- Costco- Provides delivery through instacart in many locations
- Safeway- Both delivery and pick-up available
- Target – Groceries can be delivered via Shipt.
- Kroger – Online ordering with delivery available or local pickup.
- Walmart Grocery – Offers delivery in certain areas or order online and pickup. They will bring groceries to your car, you do not need to go into the store. You can order online or through their grocery app.
Wine and Spirits
Delivery or shipping is available, if a person is over 21 to sign for the product.
- BevMo – The large chain which sells wine, beer and spirits will deliver through Instacart or you can have items shipped to your door.
- Last Bottle – A fun twist for anyone, or even the wine aficionado. An online service offering wine at 30-70% off retail. One type of wine per day is sold, until it runs out, which may only be in a few hours! The owners have a long history in the wine business, and they hand select each varietal.
- Online Wineries – Many wineries such as Judd’s Hill are offering big discounts or free shipping. Click the links to see wineries offering online options such as Three Wine Company or promotions, free shipping, and discounts.
Restaurants do not qualify as “grocery stores” but many people are relying on “take-out”, delivery or curbside pick-up from restaurants while staying home. We need to support restaurants that provide meals to those on restricted diets. My restaurant guide can help you find safe options for restaurant meals. Call the restaurant directly if online ordering is not available.
Worldwide 100% gluten-free restaurant guide– A free resource provided by Dr. Burkhart. Enter your location on the finder page to locate a dedicated gluten-free restaurant near you.
*I have no financial or business connection to any of these resources. I am simply providing information
THIS ARTICLE IS COPYRIGHTED BY AMY BURKHART, MD, RD.
Dr. Amy Burkhart is a doctor (M.D.), Registered Dietitian, R.D., and fellowship-trained in integrative medicine. She specializes in treating chronic digestive disorders from an integrative/functional medicine perspective.